Monday, January 23, 2006

Through sick and thin

Well, maybe not the thin.

The coughs, sniffles, scratchy throats and pains have visited my house in rounds. I got tagged on the latest cycle. It started with bone-tired exhaustion about two weeks back. One Sunday I woke up and didn’t want to. Cooking, eating or anything healthy went right out the door. I don’t feel good; therefore I must have comfort food.

Fritos is my comfort food. So are French fries and anything sweet. Tortilla soup from El Pollo Loco is too.

Then I got really sick and parked it on the couch for two days (as opposed to parking it on my work chair) and watched crappy daytime TV. I mentally grumbled at the people who STILL haven’t showed up with my DVR.

Only this last Sunday did I wake up feeling close to my normal self. Today is even better.

Somewhere in my sneeze-cough-nose-drip phase, I saw this commercial about a three-day walk to fight against breast cancer. It made me think about my overall health.

I’m fat (No shoo-shooing. It’s a fact you can’t pat me on the back for and say that’s ‘not true.’) and it’s not healthy. However, I still have control over this. People with breast cancer, or cancer at all, have no control. They can’t get up and jog it off.

Okay, I can’t jog anything off either. I might give myself black eyes if I tried and a heart attack. But, I CAN walk. I’ve got two legs and they still lift up and move forward. At least for now.

Anyhow, once I woke up from my Nyquil coma I realized I had to do this walk. It’s 60 miles in three days. Crazy, I know!

Late last year my good friend and I chatted about doing this weeklong AIDS fundraiser ride. I really, really wanted to do it. I knew I physically couldn’t. The one thing I’ve learned this year is my mind will is not stronger than my body’s weaknesses. I have to make gradual progress. It’s humbling.

Another TV image floated through my mind. An episode of ‘The Biggest Loser.’ It was the family home version. Two families were pitted against each other and then had to the bulk of the challenge at home. They were each given work out machines that were placed in their living rooms in front of the TV.

So as of last night, my Gazelle is in the house. I can walk. I can Gazelle. I can train for this walk. While I get healthy, I can hopefully help someone else get healthy too. Or at least help fundraise their hope higher.

Once I pay the registration fee, I’ll be posting a donation button.

0 comments: